Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Alison Sweeney's Braid Style on Biggest Loser by Matthew Holman


Take a look at Matthew's popular braided style on Alison Sweeney for Biggest Loser.

He shares the steps below:

I'm so glad you guys like the hairstyle I did on Ali for the weigh-in! It all starts with a good blow out. Ali has fine hair, so I use a product called Root & Body Lift before I blow it dry. (At the moment I'm obsessed with KMS California hair products.) And then…

1. When creating an intricate look like this, I like to map out what I'm doing first. I started by dividing the hair from the crown down to the ear on the opposite side from where I wanted the braid. Then I clipped that hair up out of the way.

2. For the extra volume in the crown area, I back-combed and sprayed the hair with medium-hold hairspray between each section.

3. I'll be the first to admit that French braids can be tricky, but the key is not to stress. Just take your time. I left out a small amount of fringe and then I started a loose French braid that followed the bottom hairline, leading around the back of the neck. I clipped the braid to the side, leaving the ends unbraided.

4. Then I took down the hair that I had pulled up on the opposite side and brought it down. I pulled that section of hair into a low side ponytail with a non-metal elastic hairband.

5. Next I took the clip off the braid, wrapped the unbraided ends around the side ponytail, and pinned that hair into the ponytail with a few hairpins.

6. Almost done! I finished by curling the ends of the hair with a 1-inch curling iron, alternating direction with the iron for separation of the curl. To finish, I used medium-hold hairspray to tame any flyaways, protect from humidity, and add a touch of shine.

Visit Matthew at his salon to have him create a style just for you!

2 comments:

Syl said...

What about 4/19's episode. The simple top braid looks so easy, but I just can't get it to look right.

Unknown said...

If you can't do the french braid , start on the side part and bring down the braid and the finish the other side, instead of trying to do it all at once. and if all else fails, I suggest buying a headband that is already braided! It's a snap!